caramoan tour package

caramoan tour package

caramoan tour package

Author Topic: Power Factor Computation  (Read 7065 times)

Offline SpongeBob

• Lead Acid Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 33
Re: Power Factor Computation
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »
bakit icocorect ang power factor ng washing machine, curious lang, meron na ba power factor penalty sa residential?

pagnakuha mo na PF(= P / VA) kelangan icorrect na

kunin mo inductive VAR (equals square root of VA squared minus P squared)
VA is apprent power (VA = P/PF)
P is true power(watt meter reading)
then compute the VAR with corrected PF, subtract the result from previous VAR, you will get VAR rating ng capacitor

Philippine Electronics Forum

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »

Offline ef - el - ay - pee

• Lead Acid Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 34
  • Regrets, I have a few...
    • The Taste Bytes Food Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
mejo OT po:

di po ba may mga binebenta na power-saving device sa mercado (metro TV, yung power star)....meron kasi kaming similar device para dun sa ref namin,bumaba naman yung bill namin, tas nung tiningnan ko, automatic power factor correction yung ginagawa nya...so baka bumili ka nalang nun hehehe, pero mahal yun pero at least applicable sa lahat ng appliances
"Engineers are the Oompah-Loompahs of Science" - Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »

Offline robbietan

• Lead Acid Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 18
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
mejo OT po:

di po ba may mga binebenta na power-saving device sa mercado (metro TV, yung power star)....meron kasi kaming similar device para dun sa ref namin,bumaba naman yung bill namin, tas nung tiningnan ko, automatic power factor correction yung ginagawa nya...so baka bumili ka nalang nun hehehe, pero mahal yun pero at least applicable sa lahat ng appliances

having an auto pf correction is expensive, specially for reidential users. probably the ref motor got a voltage kick that improved efficiency so you got billed less. or you didnt use the ref that often, erferferf.

in any case, power factor correction applies to motors only. I would caution against putting one for electronics products.
apqi.ph

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline tony v.

• Size AA Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 2
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
If you know how to dismantle the components of refrigerator, I recommend to installed a capacitor connected in parallel to the power supply terminal leads of the motor. It will functions as a power factor and no need to install electronic controller.... thats my idea but I don't do it by my self either hehehe.

But I tell you my experienced regarding this matter. We have a Pump House somewhere in Taytay with a Booster Pump of 60 Hp and Deep well of 30 Hp. Our Electricity Bill cost us around 75,000.00 pesos per month with a penalty charged in Power Factor. To correct these, I installed a magnetic contactor and connected the coil parallel to the main cantactor of the motor. Installed also a bank of capacitors and tapped the supply to the additional magnetic contactor. So when the control panel is energized the motor and the capacitor are activated simultaneously. The result is great because we pay only 60,000.00 plus per month after the installation of capacitors, with incentive in power factor improvement of 95 percent reflected in the Meralco electric bill. I done this without using any Power Factor Controller or Electronics devices.
0-1001-10-10-1000-111-111-1-0-10-101

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »

Offline robbietan

• Lead Acid Battery
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
If you know how to dismantle the components of refrigerator, I recommend to installed a capacitor connected in parallel to the power supply terminal leads of the motor. It will functions as a power factor and no need to install electronic controller.... thats my idea but I don't do it by my self either hehehe.

But I tell you my experienced regarding this matter. We have a Pump House somewhere in Taytay with a Booster Pump of 60 Hp and Deep well of 30 Hp. Our Electricity Bill cost us around 75,000.00 pesos per month with a penalty charged in Power Factor. To correct these, I installed a magnetic contactor and connected the coil parallel to the main cantactor of the motor. Installed also a bank of capacitors and tapped the supply to the additional magnetic contactor. So when the control panel is energized the motor and the capacitor are activated simultaneously. The result is great because we pay only 60,000.00 plus per month after the installation of capacitors, with incentive in power factor improvement of 95 percent reflected in the Meralco electric bill. I done this without using any Power Factor Controller or Electronics devices.

I hope that your motor is operating continuously. If my interpretation is correct, your scheme powers the capacitors as long as the motor supply is enegized. if your motor goes off once in a while, make sure the capacitors go off too. else you may have a case of overvoltage in your circuit.
apqi.ph

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »

Offline tony v.

• Size AA Battery
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
Tama ka Robbietan, kaya ginawa ka na pag ng off ang motor off din ang capacitors dahil nakakabit sa magnetic contactor ng motor ang control ng capacitors. Nag eenergized lang capacitors pag ang motor is in running condition, pagpatay ang motor patay din capacitors automatically ... :D

Offline tony v.

• Size AA Battery
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »
In addition to the comment in saving power, one factor is reducing the demand in the system. In my example above we have two motors running to pump water in our compound and if those two motors runs simultaneously the demands registered the total power (kW) in the Meralco meter. It means 60 hp(44 kw) plus 30(22 kW) equals 66 kW in all.

Meralco Bill Computation looks like this:

Transmission Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)   66 (kW)      x    335.3700       =       22,132.42
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)     66              x   119.4000       =         7,880.40
                         You have to pay  (related to Demand only)       =        30,012.82

But if you managed the power demand by starting the two motors one in a time ( I make these by putting an interlocking switch between the booster pump motor and Deep well pump motor control, it means you cannot start booster pump if the deep well is in running condition same with the deep well or vice versa ) 

After I upgraded the control the results looks like this:

Transmission Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)   44 (kW)      x    335.3700       =       14,756.28
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)     44              x   119.4000       =         5,253.60
                         You have to pay  (related to Demand only)       =        20,009.88

In these example comparing the two figures you can save P 10,000.00 per month in reducing the Demand

;D ;D ;D

Offline robbietan

• Lead Acid Battery
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
In addition to the comment in saving power, one factor is reducing the demand in the system. In my example above we have two motors running to pump water in our compound and if those two motors runs simultaneously the demands registered the total power (kW) in the Meralco meter. It means 60 hp(44 kw) plus 30(22 kW) equals 66 kW in all.

Meralco Bill Computation looks like this:

Transmission Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)   66 (kW)      x    335.3700       =       22,132.42
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)     66              x   119.4000       =         7,880.40
                         You have to pay  (related to Demand only)       =        30,012.82

But if you managed the power demand by starting the two motors one in a time ( I make these by putting an interlocking switch between the booster pump motor and Deep well pump motor control, it means you cannot start booster pump if the deep well is in running condition same with the deep well or vice versa ) 

After I upgraded the control the results looks like this:

Transmission Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)   44 (kW)      x    335.3700       =       14,756.28
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo.)     44              x   119.4000       =         5,253.60
                         You have to pay  (related to Demand only)       =        20,009.88

In these example comparing the two figures you can save P 10,000.00 per month in reducing the Demand

It is a true story of mine.....

seems hindi residential ang billing mo, commercial/industrial billings lang ang may demand charge.
actually, meralco has a program that promotes demand side management, kasama dyan ang isang procedure which you just described. having multiple motors in one facility, you could lower demand charge by starting one motor and waiting for a 15 to 30 minute interval before starting another.

nakakatipid ka na sa demand charge without having to buy anything or change your installation
apqi.ph

Offline tony v.

• Size AA Battery
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:07 AM »
tama ka sir dahil three phase, 440 volts ang supply voltage at applicable ito dahil wala naman apekto sa operation kung hindi sabay ang dalawang motor, tanong ko lang paano nga pala kung Garments mahirap ma manage demand nila dahil sa dami ng motor... ;D ;D ;D

Offline raldski

• CR2032 Battery
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »
Hmm... diba pag naglagay ka ng power factor corrector, wala ka talagang nasa-save, infact, baka lumaki pa nga bill mo e. Power factor corrector is just for compliance for the benefit of the utility power grid, not for the consumer, para exact real power consumed versus bill chaka para di ka ma-penalty ng power company pag nalaman nila na bumaba power factor ng bahay mo below a certain level.

The power company distributes power in Apparent Power VA. Pero yung metro natin sa bahay, we are billed by real power in watts. Kaya as much as possible gusto ng power companies mag- equal yung VA(apparent power) na nilalabas nila sa Watts(real power) na knconsume natin para di sila malugi at wlang daya.. Ibig sabihin, the lesser the power factor, the less bill  ;D kung di ka mahuhuli. Maglagay ka ng capacitor bank sa bahay, liliit ang power factor, liliit din ang bill.

I'm not sure, pero this is what I think. Correct me sirs if I'm wrong. ;D
Philippians 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

Offline tony v.

• Size AA Battery
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »
Hmm... diba pag naglagay ka ng power factor corrector, wala ka talagang nasa-save, infact, baka lumaki pa nga bill mo e. Power factor corrector is just for compliance for the benefit of the utility power grid, not for the consumer, para exact real power consumed versus bill chaka para di ka ma-penalty ng power company pag nalaman nila na bumaba power factor ng bahay mo below a certain level.

The power company distributes power in Apparent Power VA. Pero yung metro natin sa bahay, we are billed by real power in watts. Kaya as much as possible gusto ng power companies mag- equal yung VA(apparent power) na nilalabas nila sa Watts(real power) na knconsume natin para di sila malugi at
wlang daya.. Ibig sabihin, the lesser the power factor, the less bill  ;D kung di ka mahuhuli. Maglagay ka ng capacitor bank sa bahay, liliit ang power factor, liliit din ang bill.

I'm not sure, pero this is what I think. Correct me sirs if I'm wrong. ;D

Actually hindi require ng Electric Company na maglagay ng Power Factor sa Residential. Walang penalty ng power factor sa residential billing kaya hindi mo makikita sa computation ng bill dahil energy lang ang register ng meter.

While Commercial or Industrial users need to improves the Power Factor to avoid the penalties from the Power Company. I'll give you an example how it reflects to the electric bill.

Assuming these is the data from Electric Bill without Power Factor Correction :
Energy = 33840 kWh (power consumed registered in the Electric Meter)
KVAR   = 26720 rKVAh (the registered rKVAh value decreases when capacitor is added in the system)

Power Factor Computation in Percentage:
PF = Cos (Inverse Tan rKvah/kWh)
    = Cos (Inverse Tan 26720/33840)
    = Cos (Inverse Tan 0.7895981)
    = Cos (38.29455)
    = 0.784835
PF = 78.50 %

Billing Details
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo)   134.60     119.4000        16,071.24
Metering Charge                          1 mo      317.74               317.74
Supply Charge                            1 mo      655.33               655.33
Power Factor Adjustment           61212.04      3.90%          2,387.27   
Power Factor                              78.50% 
                                             AMOUNT                       19,431.58                             

Yon 2,387.27 pesos ang penalty

Pag may correction ng Power Factor ganito naman ang kalalabasan:
Energy = 33840 kWh
KVAR   = 7000 rKVAh
PF = Cos (Inverse Tan 7000/33840)
    = Cos (Inverse Tan 0.206855)
    = Cos (11.6871)
    = 0.979268
    = 97.92%

Billing Details
Distribution Charge(PhP/kW/mo)   134.60     119.4000        16,071.24
Metering Charge                          1 mo      317.74               317.74
Supply Charge                            1 mo      655.33               655.33
Power Factor Adjustment           90585.04     -3.60%         -3261.14 
(assumed value for power factor adj. and rate adj.)
Power Factor                              97.92%                       
                                                    AMOUNT                 13,783.17

Mapapansin mo na bumaba ang babayaran mo at imbes na penalty ay nagkaroon ka pa ng discount na 3,261.14 pesos.

Tama ka kung sobra ang capacitors sa system magiging load ito at dadagdag sa consumption at maaaring tumaas pa ang voltage sa supply kaya kailangan talaga ng power factor controller kung ang load ay pabago bago. Pero kung tama lang ang capacitors base sa inductive loads, mapapababa nito ang power consumption.

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »

Privacy Policy

Contact Us: elabph@yahoo.com