caramoan tour package

caramoan tour package

caramoan tour package

Author Topic: Homemade SQUELCHED TRIGGERED REPEATER SYSTEM using the Radio Shack 2052 Scanner  (Read 5339 times)

Offline mannydeguzmanartist

• CR2032 Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 2
  • I'm a freelance writer, photographer, and artist
    • MANNY DE GUZMAN, JR. -  Website
Hello there...

I just recently uploaded a YouTube video on my homemade SQUELCHED TRIGGERED REPEATER SYSTEM using the Radio Shack 2052 radio scanner as a receiver, and ICOM V68 as the transmitter. It uses a squelched trigger relay switch to enable a handheld or base transceiver. It is so simple that you might want to try it if your out of budget on a commercially made repeater or COR.

Watch my DIY video at

PROJECT FACTS AND DETAILS:

Though you can hack and add squelch trigger devices to any scanner receiver or 2 way radios of your choice (yes, you can tap the squelch circuit on the receive section of that ICOM 28H for a cleaner repeater performance on 2 meter!), I strongly suggest that you first study how the squelch circuit of your radio works. You must secure a schematic diagram of your radio. You must identify the squelch IC and see if a specification/ data sheet for that part number is available on the web.

Next identify the logic +5 volt pin of that IC. From what I read, it is a voltage comparator section of the circuit which outputs a +5 volt when a signal is present or when the squelch is closed, or 0 volt when it is open (silent) or vice versa. 5 volt is nominal, but in some radios like my Radio Shack Pro-2052 it is 3 volts. Even if you doesn't have a pin-out diagram of the squelch IC, you can try looking for that voltage logic pin using a digital tester and varying the squelch control (opening and closing the squelch). Just be careful not to short anything on those pins or you'll damage that squelch IC. Connect the negative test prods of your multimeter to negative ground or any metal part of your radio, and carefully tap the pins one by one with the positive tip of your tester while the squelch is open. If your digital tester reads something between +3 volts to +5 volts, then bingo! You got the right squelch tap.

Then you had to make a relay trigger switch. Search for an appropriate schematic on the web. You must be familiar with the relay switch connection. It must be able to activate the transmitter (your handheld transceiver or base radio) when a signal is present on the receiver.

A good working relay trigger device should activate even by merely touching the input with your finger. You should hear series of clicking sound on the relay while touching the input terminal (usually, one of the amplifier transistor pin)

If your receiver has a CTCSS (Tone Squelch), you can use this feature to safeguard your homemade repeater from unauthorized use or triggering which might hinder your operations.

You can do all these through experimentations like what I did. But be extra careful.

Good luck, and enjoy the hobby!!!

MANNY DE GUZMAN, JR.
SoundMagik Home Studio
Site Creator, TEENMODELS2007
http://teenmodels2007.wetpaint.com/

Watch my YouTube video "HOMEMADE REPEATER USING RADIO SHACK PRO-2052 AND ICOM V68" here:

Philippine Electronics Forum

Offline Ikasamoko

• Solar Power Satellite
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 483
  • ..sexually deficit..
    • My "BLAG!"
Hobby ko rin dati to..but nabaon na ng lumabas yung mga CP..

I'm also planning for ATV..kaso mahal yung mga ready made na mga gadgets..if you're for DIY hirap naman mga RF components hanapin...

kaya net na lang ako..using VOIP...

Offline yuyi

• LR44 Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 0
WOW! galing...

Offline underprezzure

• Lead Acid Battery
  • Pogi/Ganda Points: 44
  • Destroyer! Web Crawler! Buster! Babaylan!
    • www.instructables.com
@mannydeguzmanartist

Bro, Elab members miss you!!! bumisita ka palagi ha... By the way.. you have a nice hobby project..  ;)

-underpazz campaigns for more technical post on technical threads
-underpazz campaigns for "no hijack policy" on technical sections
I am not reinventing the wheel, I am just making a difference.
Follow Forum Rules and Regulations
Search the forum before posting
Zero tolerance on spam
Stop thread hijack

• CR2032 Battery
Detailed photos of the project: Update as of November 31, 2008

For more info, watch my YouTube video featuring the Squelched Triggered Repeater Project at

...Or follow this link to this project on my website:
http://mannydeguzmanartist.wetpaint.com/page/Homemade+Squelched+Triggered+Repeater+System+(COR)

FOR OTHER PROJECTS: Visit my website at:
http://mannydeguzmanartist.wetpaint.com/

Enjoy the hobby!

MANNY DE GUZMAN, JR.
SoundMagik Home Studio
Manila, Philippines
Site Creator, TEENMODELS2007
http://teenmodels2007.wetpaint.com/

Offline liacom 1217

• CR2032 Battery
wow galing mo pre!ayos yan!

Offline rhich

• LR44 Battery
bro ayos yan. c richard to BLD ur neighbor!!!!

• CR2032 Battery
ERRATA & UPDATE on Homemade SQUELCHED TRIGGERED REPEATER SYSTEM
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
ERRATA: (Last update - April 16, 2009

This modification works only via squelch circuitry, and not applicable for CTCSS purposes. CTCSS is activated via audio line circuit. Initial test of this project shows that a squelched modified CTCSS equipped receiver or transceiver will only trigger a dead carrier via xmit of Icom IC-V68, and no audio will come out if the CTCSS encode is activated.

Best Regards to my long time neighbor RHICH (Bravo-Lima-Delta), my ka-tropa before sa 144.90 Mhz, before an amateur group took over and claim that frequency.

73's to all and 88!

• CR2032 Battery
This is my new project. This is the same with my previous "Squelch Triggered" design. Only this time, I used two Bendix King LMH - 3142 Commercial type and channelized programmable VHF Base/ Mobile radios for receiver and transmitter with 30 watts output (trimmed down to about 15 watts for my application). This wired and modded unit configuration is for sale, but I also have in stock un-tampered and unmodified LMH-3142's for those of you who wish to explore or experiment. These units are all working and fully functional, never been repaired before. Some screws are missing, and the stack microphone are not included, though.

I also found out that this radio can be used as an RF linear amplifier/ booster in the 148.00 Mhz - 173.995 Mhz range for your portable transceivers. All you have to do is to connect the output of your VHF portable handheld radio (not exceeding 3 watts) to the input of the LMH-3142's transmitter board. Only the antenna output shall be disconnected or disabled to provide direct connection to the Handheld's RF out to the input of the amplifier board. With Bendix King LMH-3142, you get 2 watts in and 30 watts out of power![/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

MANNY DE GUZMAN, JR.
Journalist/ Blogger
Manila Philippines
Website Creator - TEENMODELS2007
http://teenmodels2007.wetpaint.com

Here's the YouTube video for this project...
Homemade Radio Repeater COR using Bendix King LMH-3142 VHF Base/ Mobile Transceivers

And here's the full article. You can read directly in my website or enlarge photos, just go to this link:
http://mannydeguzmanartist.wetpaint.com/page/Homemade+Repeater+Using+Bendix+King+LMH-3142+Base+Mobile+Transceivers

Offline tikoy

• CR2032 Battery
hi manny can i ask for the diagram of your Relay Trigger Board...and also the parts...
tnks 73's

• CR2032 Battery
Sir Tikoy,

I've lost the original diagram of the Relay Switch. I am just reproducing the boards which I made earlier, so I didn't rely on the schematics anymore. But I'll find it in my files if I still had the copy and post it here.

...You could use any 12 volt relay for this purpose, provided it could be triggered with 3 - 5 volts through the input. This means you have to use a 2 stage transistor amplifer to drive the relay coil (2N3904 NPN and 2N3905 PNP in my case, biased with a resistor and a 1N4148 diode and powered by the 12 volt regulator IC of Bendix King LMH-3142) The squelch system works like in order of on and off, 0 when squelch open and 5 volts when closed, just like in any digital circuits.

...For schematic diagram, please Google it using the search words: "relay switch diagram", "relay trigger", relay driver circuits", etc.

• CR2032 Battery
For those who are asking for the relay circuit schematic for use with my squelch triggered COR design, you can use this trigger circuit below:

For larger view, refer to this link: http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/9XBOjnJjoukTC7OJHS4ysA380828

Please note however that this is different from what I used previously, as the transistors used in the schematic above were both NPN type. However, in my experience, any type of transistors would work provided they were correctly matched and biased.

Offline tikoy

• CR2032 Battery
thanks you so much manny...73's

• CR2032 Battery
You're welcome, Sir Tikoy...

By way of note, the relay circuit could be tested prior to connecting to your radio. Power it up and touch lightly the input (7.5 K at the base of 2N3904 transistor) with your bare hands. A series of clicking sound shall be heard much similar to a buzzer. Hold it firmly and the relay contact will close. You can then test the output pin of the relay (the terminal which is supposedly connected to the PTT of your transmitter) with a tester for continuity. 

Privacy Policy

Contact Us: elabph@yahoo.com