Gawad Kalinga welcomes all volunteers.
The best way is to find out what GK site is nearest you. Saan ka ba banda?
Once you find out ang pinakamalapit, you can visit the site and ask who are the members of the caretaker team or members of the Kapitbahayan. These people are the person to talk to if you want to help. It is good to go there as a group para masaya.
Then you can sign up to join the GK1MB (GK Isang Milyong Bayani) Program. This is a program for volunteers who are willing to spend at least 4 hours a month to serve in a GK site. Although hindi necessary to sign up with GK1MB, mas recommended para updated ka sa lahat na pangyayari kasi you will be included in the database.
As a GK volunteer, (whether part of GK1MB or not) you can help is many areas. Below are just some of what you can do:
1. help build houses
2. tulong sa lanscaping
3. help in the Child and Youth Development Program (CYD) like
- tutorials sa mga bata kung weekends. I think we all know the shortcomings of our public school educational system so malaki ang maitulong natin sa mga bata through tutorials. In one site in Payatas, we discovered a very talented kid na grade 6 na ngayon. She is now being groomed para maka pasok sa Phil Science High School.
- help teach kids about music or play guitar, piano, etc.
4. tulong sa skills development ng mga tao sa site para mag karoon sila ng kabuhayan. There are discussions between TESDA and GK about this. Sana mag materialize. I wonder if ELab can take part and support this.
5. For those who are good in inspirational speeches, you can help in the values formation program. Kasi GK is not just about building houses for the poor. It is about developing people. So the foundation is moral values. The beneficiaries have to undergo values formation programs. For those who are Christians (Catholics, Born Again, Protestants, etc)they are encourage to attend the Christian Life Program of CFC. Ang mag kapatid nating Muslim have also their own values formation program. With the values in place, the rest becomes much easier. One thing that impressed me in GK is - unlike other NGO's who take the easy path by dealing with the women of the villages, GK tackles the difficult part headon by dealing with the men of the villages. Alam naman natin na the men are the pasaway - sila ang root of almost all problems. Solving the problem with the men make the rest a lot easier. GK has been quite successful in this area. Kaya once a GK site is started the peace and order situation in the area improves.
6. You can donate old books, old computers.
7. You can teach kids about computers.
8. Most GK sites have no PA system na magamit sa mga events and other activities. For those who have old amps or mahilig gumawa ng amp projects baka gusto nyo i-donate.
9. If you know people abroad who might want to help, you can inform them. Some Pinoy Groups abroad have teamed up and raise funds to build a few houses. Regarding financial contributions make sure these are coursed through the nearest GK office para documented and ma issuhan ng recibo. That way you can be sure the funds will be used properly.
For more details, please visit: www.gawadkalinga.org