Electronics Lab Philippines

DIY ROTATOR FOR YOUR DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA

Offline bravokilo

DIY ROTATOR FOR YOUR DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
Pro antenna rotator are expensive. and if you can a cheapo one, the wind loading may be suspect.

We can make one using a plate say gauge 16, about 1.5' in height and .5 ' wide. Bolt on 2 pillow blocks , 3/4" inside D. Insert a 2', 3/8" GI pipe. Build up the 3/8' diameter with a sheet metal wrapped around till you get a snug fit into the pillow block. Use epoxy as you wrap the sheet. 

For the motor, get a car wiper motor Copy the system in the electric fan on how to oscillate the 3/8" pipe.

Offline bravokilo

Re: DIY ROTATOR FOR YOUR DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »
Another way to make a rotator is to go to a junkyard and see if you can find a discarded "batalla" with the steering mechanism intact (manibela). That means the fork is still there.saw off this part from the main batalla and weld a plate on the two pipes sawed off. Remove the handlebar and that is where you will put the antenna. The fork is bent so it is no good. Cut it at the base and weld a straight pipe. connect a motor. You can extend the pipe say 3/8' to the base and put your belt and pulley at the bottom.

BK

Offline Super zHero

• Simple problem- ...simple solution.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
Junkyard junkie ata ito si BK  ;D

I used to be one, too.  But that was looong ago.  Naging "dumpster diver" din ako.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »
Junky talaga. Last Sunday i sold P262 worth of sibak(broken plastics at p15 per kilo). I had ten kgs. the clutch pressure plate and lining fetched p55.Then i use the money to bring home junks like broken radio, motors, etc....By the way one source of pulleys are the plastic pulleys under the washing machine. some have planetary gears(step down). You can pull out the small pulley from the motor and attach it to a DC motor ng kotse. Ayun, put the belt back and you have a slow speed and hi torque rotator. Reduce the voltage to make it slower.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
The best motor you can find for a rotator is the electric kiddie bike or car. They ususally work on 6 volts. I tested one this morning. They have a 550 size brushed motor with a set of big nylon gears inside. They can propel a car with a ten year old.  The problem is that at 6 volts, it turns a bit too fast for a rotator. The trick is to use 3 volts with sacrifice in torque.

The nice thing about this drive is the center hole about 1/2" on the rotating nylon "cup" about 2" in diameter. If you can get the original axle, that is the rod.
The rod can be serve as a pot to hold the rotating shaft up.

However, if you put a stopper on the rotating shaft, there is no need for this axle rod. For coupling, just make a fork ( pronged) end the end of he bottom of the rotating shaft and it can be inserted inside the cup which is hexagon.

BK

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:56:37 AM »

The best geared motor is a motor from this. P4000+ if you buy the whole bike. hehe

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »

wiper motor

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »
an auto window raiser mtor will also work but best if we put belt and pulley.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »

Use this. It has planetary gears inside. For projects where you have to lower the speed some more, you can series as many as you like. Example:making a chicken griller (rotisserie).

Couple a DC motor at he bottom or put a pulley to connect to a motor with a pulley.

BK

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »

Ayan , oh, may pulley na! Maga P350 lang ata sa Raon. SA tabi tabi P400 to P500 daw.

Dali lang anu? SA dulo, Just Buy! hehehe. That is the easiest. Butas naman ang bolsa.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Common Super z, daming projects magawa dito. Feed cleaner, tambiolo, rotisserie, Egg rotator, antenna rotator, kahit  rotator sa sampayan ni Mrs. hehe. (Hindi lang dya alam, tinanggal mo na and gear box sa washing machine nya). Mwe....hehe

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
END SWITCHES. REVERSERS.....abangan

Offline Super zHero

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »
Hoy!  hindi ko pa pinapakialaman yung washing machine  >:(

At yung mga siraniko dito sa tabi ko, palagi akong nauunahan sa mga junk na dala ng mga magbabakal.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:48 AM »
hehe.....maganda bago na lang na lang na gear box. Mura lang at di gastado ang bushings. Wag lang gamitin yung washing machine na motor. Bka mag wishi washi ang yagi sa taas.

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 02:56:54 PM »
Ok. lets go to the electrical.  A nice way to control a rotator is to have 2 button on a box on the wall or on the table. One button it to turn left and the other one to turn right. The first problem to be solved is not to let the rotator turn to more than 360 degrees end to end for all around hunting such as in transceivers. For TV focusing of the antenna, 180 degrees will do the job. The 3 wire telephone cable may be used or some flat cord. We need only 2 lines. It is best to use an adaptor off the wall of course. The power supply will be DC, so,with a plus line and a minus line. Two  micro switches Single pole Double throw are  needed. Use the push button found in Videoke boxes to select the song. Inside is actually a micro SW.

Connect each  common of the switches to each terminal of the motor. Join the NC terminals of the switches and connect to the minus of the supply. join the NC terminals and connect to the plus of the supply. When no button is pushed down, the motor terminals are both getting minuses. When one is pressed, that line will get a plus and the motor will run. The other button will run it reversed. Nothing happens when both buttons are pressed.

Next, we want the rotator to stop at an end but be able to reverse direction anywhere along the track. Mechanically, put a horizontal flat bar on the rotating shaft. This would press on another micro switch to open the wire connection to the motor. Same thing on the other side. To be able to reverse the turn, put a jumper diode across the contacts of the micro switch.

BK

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
Nobody wants to build a rotator?hu hu hu....

Offline >>>^żżż^<<<

• żżż
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
Share mo na lang sir bk. For references. Magagamit rin natin yan.

http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=52236.0 TF?
http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=41860 ? ? ? DIY traffo Test Build Uli
http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=33717  I2c / spi programmer
http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=37150.0 Lcr esr makikigulo rin ba kayo ??? Test Build
http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=29963.0 Esr collection na malamig
http://www.elab.ph/index.php?topic=25854.0 Basic C++ Programming Tutorials by Prof Asimo
We only live once,treasure those we love, make friends not enemies and keep our family closer. And we will be at peace.
FISH

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »
Just joking. Am sure maraming napapulot na ideas dito like the use of washing machine parts. Gear down yung plato at planetary drive pa. At mura lang lang. Bestg and cheapest wayis to use bike hubs na may double bearings. Yung pag hold sa poste. Dalawa in series mas maganda. Yung drive sa baba. Yung antenna sa taas. Maraming geared motor sa E gizmo. Kahit yung mid size will work.

Thanks 3?. More Pawah sa ito.

BK

Offline bravokilo

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

Pinaka simple na rotator at mura lang "De Hila"

Offline Super zHero

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
I want to join in this discussion pero wala pa akong masasabi.  But let me try out here to post a photo (using postimage.org) since my imageshack quit on me.  Here is a motor I found on my shopping spree during my recent trip to HK:

I think this is small and too fast to be used for antenna rotator.  It'll be good for robotic projects tho.  Here's a link on eBay to see the specs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dc-gear-motor-Planetary-gear-Robot-model-driven-motor-4-MM-/160992113876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257be0b4d4#ht_4586wt_897